Starting a small business in Aurora, Ontario
Aurora, Ontario is a great place for small businesses due to its growing population, proximity to major cities, and supportive community.
With a population of over 60,000 people and a median household income of over $110,000, Aurora provides a strong customer base for small businesses. Additionally, Aurora is located just 30 minutes north of Toronto, making it easy for businesses to access Canada’s largest city.
Aurora also has a supportive community that values local businesses. There are several initiatives in place to help small businesses thrive, including the Aurora Chamber of Commerce and the Aurora Business Association. These organizations provide networking opportunities, business resources, and advocacy for local businesses.
The town also has several business-friendly policies in place, such as a streamlined application process for business permits and licenses, and a low commercial property tax rate.
Overall, Aurora offers a supportive environment for small businesses to succeed, with access to a strong customer base, a well-connected location, and a supportive community.
Want to speak with a small business expert in Aurora, Ontario – call 1-800-288-9691
How to start a small business in Aurora, Ontario
Here are some steps to start a small business in Aurora:
1. Develop a business plan: A well-written business plan helps you define your business goals, target audience, budget, and marketing strategy.
2. Conduct market research: Analyze the local market and demographics to determine if there is a need for your product or service. This can also help you identify your competitors and differentiate your business from them.
3. Register your business: Register your business with the Ontario government and obtain a business license from the Town of Aurora.
4. Choose a location: Select a location that is convenient for your customers and accessible by public transport.
5. Obtain funding: Explore financing options such as loans, grants, or investors to fund your business.
6. Hire employees: Hire employees if necessary and ensure compliance with provincial employment laws.
7. Promote your business: Develop a marketing strategy and use social media, local events, and other advertising methods to promote your business.
8. Stay compliant: Familiarize yourself with provincial and federal regulations and ensure your business is compliant with tax laws, health and safety regulations, and labor laws.
Starting a small business can be a challenging but rewarding experience. With a supportive community, prosperous location, and business-friendly policies, Aurora is a great place to launch your entrepreneurial venture.
Create a formal business plan for your small business in Aurora, Ontario using the Business Plan Builder Tool.
Cost of starting a business in Aurora, Ontario
In terms of the cost of starting a business in Aurora, it will vary depending on the type of business and its specific needs. Some common costs to consider include:
1. Registration and licensing fees: The cost of obtaining a business license from the Town of Aurora varies depending on the type of business and the number of employees. Other registration and licensing fees may also apply.
2. Location costs: Rent or lease costs for commercial space will vary depending on the size and location of the property. It’s important to consider the costs of utilities, insurance, and maintenance as well.
3. Equipment and supplies: Depending on the type of business, you may need to purchase equipment, furniture, inventory, or other supplies. These costs can add up quickly, so it’s important to budget accordingly.
4. Marketing and advertising costs: Promoting your business can be costly, especially in the beginning stages. Consider the costs of website design, business cards, flyers, and other marketing materials.
5. Legal and accounting fees: To ensure compliance with laws and regulations, you may need to hire a lawyer or accountant. Be sure to factor in these costs when planning your budget.
Overall, starting a business in Aurora can be an affordable and low-risk endeavour, depending on the type of business and its needs. There are many local resources, such as the Aurora Business Incubator and the Aurora Chamber of Commerce, that can help guide you through the process and connect you with other entrepreneurs in the community.
Did you know that most startup costs you may have could be covered via government funding? Consider using the Funding Database to find all government grants, government loans, and funding options available in Aurora, Ontario for your small business.
Popular small business ideas in Aurora, Ontario
Some popular businesses to consider starting in Aurora, Ontario include:
1. Food and beverage businesses, such as restaurants, cafes, or food trucks.
2. Retail businesses, such as clothing stores, gift shops, or specialty stores.
3. Home-based businesses, such as freelance services, online stores, or e-commerce businesses.
4. Health and wellness businesses, such as fitness studios, yoga studios, or wellness centres.
5. Professional services businesses, such as law firms, accounting firms, or marketing agencies.
6. Personal services businesses, such as hair salons, spas, or nail salons.
7. Entertainment businesses, such as movie theatres, bowling alleys, or arcades.
8. Industrial or manufacturing businesses, such as factories or warehouses.
9. Technology businesses, such as software companies or IT consulting firms.
It’s important to consider the demand for a particular business in Aurora and to conduct market research before starting any business.
How to apply for government funding in Aurora, Ontario
When it comes to applying for government funding for your small business in Aurora, Ontario, here are some steps you can take:
1. Research the different government funding programs available for small businesses in Aurora and Ontario. There are many different programs offered by both the federal and provincial governments, such as grants and loans.
2. Determine if you are eligible for any of the programs based on factors such as the size of your business, the industry you are in, and your business goals.
3. Gather all the necessary documents and information required for the application process. This may include your business plan, financial statements, and personal identification documents.
4. Review and complete the application form carefully, making sure to provide all required information and supporting documents.
5. Submit the application on time, following all instructions provided by the funding program.
6. Be patient and follow up with the program to check the status of your application.
7. If successful, use the funds wisely and adhere to any reporting or accountability requirements set forth by the funding program. Use the opportunity to invest in your business and help it grow.
It can be overwhelming to do it all on your own, so many steps so little time. Be sure to work with an expert who can help you with your business plan, through the funding search and somebody who knows Aurora, Ontario inside and out!